There is such a large selection of toothbrushes available in the market, be it manual or electric, how do you choose one? At WestClair Dental we recommend the following few simple tips when choosing your toothbrush.
Choose one that:
- Has soft bristles
- Has a small head so it’s easier to move around inside your mouth
- Fits comfortably in your hand
- If you have a problem with fine motor skills, an electric toothbrush may work best for you
The most important thing is that you brush your teeth at least twice a day.
Brushing your teeth properly at least twice a day helps prevent tooth decay and gum disease. Here are tips to proper brushing.
- Brush your teeth for two to three minutes
- Avoid hard scrubbing
- Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle and gently brush in short strokes from where the tooth and gum meet to the top of the tooth
- Brush all outside and inside surfaces
- Clean the pits and the crevices on the chewing surface of your teeth with short sweeping strokes
- Brush your tongue or use a tongue scraper to remove bacteria and freshen your breath
There are a number of effective brushing techniques. Visit us at WestClair Dental in Toronto and customize your oral hygiene needs.
Caring for your toothbrush
- Do not share your toothbrush or use someone else’s toothbrush
- After brushing, rinse your toothbrush thoroughly with tap water and allow to air dry
- Store toothbrush standing upright. If your toothbrushes is near other toothbrushes, do not let the heads touch
- Do not store in closed containers
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months or when the bristles look worn
Everyone has different dental conditions and will benefit from toothpaste designed specifically to address those needs, your dentist will let you know what toothpaste suits your dental needs.[/fusion_text]